Spouse Visas: What You Need to Know

view of couple holding a paper heart who want to apply for spouse visas

Spouse visas are visas that allow a foreign national who is married to an American citizen live legally in the United States. Spouse visas are one of the most common types of visas that are granted to people who want to move permanently to the United States to be with their spouses. A spouse visa can only be granted when one of two is an American citizen, at which point you can apply for one of two options.  Cynthia R. Lopez can help you understand your options and choose the best way for you and your loved one to be together.

Who is Eligible for Spouse Visas?

There are three types of spouse visas available:

  • Immigrant visa for the spouse of a U.S. citizen (IR1 or CR1)
  • Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K3)
  • Nonimmigrant visa for fiancee (K1)

These are now available not just for people in heterosexual marriages, but also for people in homosexual marriages. In order to successfully apply for a spouse visa, you must prove you are legally married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or can show proof of intent to marry in the U.S.. Each visa comes with its own set of requirements, which is why the help of an immigration attorneya pencil hovering over the word immigration is invaluable. Another thing to keep in mind is that while there are an unlimited number of spousal visas for U.S. citizens, there is a limit on how many spousal visas are issued to permanent residents.

Obtaining a Spouse Visa

Cynthia R. Lopez can help clients throughout El Paso and surrounding areas with completing the paperwork and going through the process of obtaining spouse visas.  Spouse visas can make it possible for a husband or wife to become a lawful permanent resident either through consular processing or through adjustment of status. To learn more, contact Cynthia R. Lopez today.