How Can a Citizenship Attorney Help You?

citizenship-attorney, El-Paso, Cynthia-R-Lopez

If you are interested in becoming a citizen of the United States, but you are not sure exactly how to get the immigration process started, call Cynthia R. Lopez, a citizenship attorney in El Paso. The process of becoming a U.S. citizen usually begins by getting an immigration visa.  You will likely need a sponsor to get a visa, unless you can make a significant investment in a United States business or otherwise fall into one of the few categories where you do not need a sponsor. A citizenship attorney in El Paso can help you to determine if you fall into one of these special categories.

Sponsored Citizenship

If you want to pursue immigration through having someone sponsor you, you can get an employment based immigration visa and have an employer sponsor you. You could also get a family-based immigration visa and have a family member sponsor you. Employment-based visas are available for people only in specific professions and only a qualified employer can be a sponsor. Family-based visas are available if you have a close relative like a spouse, a child over 21, or a parent who is a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident.  

Visa Limitations and Regulations

While there are an unlimited number of spousal visas for U.S. citizens, there are limits on others. Visa types such as family-based visas do have a limit and there are different family preference categories depending upon the nature of the relationship.  A citizenship attorney in El Paso can help you to determine if there are visas available in your family-based preference category.

A citizenship attorney can also help you if you wish to pursue citizenship through another approach like seeking asylum or refugee status and moving on the path towards citizenship. To learn more about how you can become a U.S. citizen, contact a citizenship attorney in El Paso today. Cynthia R. Lopez is here to help.