Frequently Asked Immigration Questions (FAQs)

A piece of paper that says “U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Servies” in gold, on top of the American flag, accompanied by a U.S. passport and gavel, in El Paso.What You Need to Know About Immigration in the United States

You understandably have questions if you are looking to apply for a green card or citizenship. The immigration system in the United States is complex and challenging to navigate without the help of a qualified attorney. 

At Cynthia R. Lopez, P.C., we are here to help you understand your rights. Our El Paso immigration lawyers have extensive experience assisting individuals in applying for citizenship, seeking asylum, or filing for an adjustment of status. If you have any questions about the immigration process, contact us online or call (915) 996-9070 to schedule a free consultation.

Who Can Apply for U.S. Citizenship?

As established by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you may file an application for naturalization if you meet certain criteria including that you are at least 18 years of age and have been a permanent resident for at least five years. 

There are exceptions including if you served in the U.S. armed forces or are married to a U.S. citizen and have been a permanent resident for at least three years. The USCIS naturalization eligibility tool can help you make an initial determination of whether you should apply for citizenship, but it is within your best interest to contact an El Paso immigration lawyer before submitting an application. 

What Is a Green Card?

A green card or permanent resident card is a document that “allows you to live and work permanently” in the country. Depending on your situation, there are several different forms or petitions that you will need to file. An attorney can help you understand which forms are applicable in your case.

What If My Green Card Is Denied?

If your green card is denied, you may be eligible to appeal. Many people are able to file a motion to reopen or reconsider. Green card applications can be denied for simple reasons, including failing to file the correct form or incomplete information. If your green card is denied, it may be best to speak with an immigration lawyer.

Do I Have to Have a Sponsor to Obtain a Visa?

While many people have sponsors, it is not necessarily a requirement. You may be able to file the petition on your behalf (without a sponsor) in some cases. There are several types of visas available for individuals hoping to work or live in the United States. 

What Are the Non-Immigrant Visa Categories?

In addition to immigrant visas, a person may apply for a nonimmigrant visa if they hope to travel temporarily to the United States. The type of visa you will need depends on your purpose of travel.

Common reasons for obtaining a nonimmigrant visa include the following:

  • Working as an au pair
  • Business travel
  • Performing as an athlete or entertainer
  • Student visa
  • Religious work
  • Human trafficking victim
  • Tourism
  • Training program

Do I Need an Attorney?

The U.S. immigration process is complicated. Without the help of an attorney, your application can easily be delayed or denied. An attorney can help you understand the process and determine which forms you need to file to achieve your goals. 

Contact Our Office

If you have additional questions about the immigration process, contact us online or call (915) 996-9070 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Let us help you get the results you deserve. Our bilingual team has over a decade of experience and can help with any number of issues, including applying for citizenship, obtaining a visa, deportation, or seeking asylum. 

At Cynthia R. Lopez, P.C., we offer dedicated, compassionate representation for our clients. We proudly serve communities throughout El Paso and the Border Region. Let us fight for you. Call our office now to get started.