The Asylum Process: Can You Bring Your Family With You?

Child with blue backpack with teddy bear sticking out, seeking asylumWhen you are seeking asylum or if it has already been granted you may be able to bring eligible family members to the United States. If your family is already in the U.S., you may claim them in order to have them remain in the country.  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that anyone granted asylee status within the prior two years can petition to have certain family members be provided with derivative asylee status. The rules for the asylum process can be complicated, especially if you are trying to have family members designated with asylee status as well. Immigration attorney Cynthia R. Lopez, P.C., can help you figure out what you need to do during the process.

Bringing Your Family With You as an Asylee

You may petition to try and get asylee status for eligible family members as long as you personally got asylee status within the past two years. The family memberAsylum, word cloud concept depicting other related words, such as border, policy, immigrant, and more must have a particular relationship to you.  For example, you can seek asylee status for a spouse or for an unmarried child who was under the age of 21 when you first began the process of getting him or her declared an asylee. The family relationship with your spouse and/or child must have begin prior to you being granted asylum. If you get married after your status was granted, your spouse will not be eligible for asylee status.

Getting Help with the Asylum Process

Cynthia R. Lopez, P.C. provides invaluable assistance with all aspects of asylum to people in El Paso and surrounding areas. If you are an asylee already or if you are applying for asylee status, we can help to argue for both you and your family’s right to stay in the country. Contact us today to learn more about the specifics of how we can help.