A Short Explanation About Adjustment of Status

adjustment-of-status-in-El-Paso, immigration-in-El-Paso

Adjustment of status in El Paso is an alternative to consular processing. If you are living within the United States and you have become eligible for a green card, adjustment of status means that you can go through the process of getting the green card without having to leave the country and go back to the American Consulate in your country of origin.

The process of achieving adjustment of status can be complicated. You want to ensure you submit the appropriate paperwork at the correct time so you do not do anything to jeopardize your eligibility for a green card.  Cynthia R. Lopez can provide you with legal assistance in determining if you qualify for adjustment of status and can help you to complete all necessary steps with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The UCSIS website provides complete details about seeking adjustment of status in El Paso. Both family members and employers can sponsor you for an immigration visa that will get you on the path to becoming a green card holder.  Forms like the I-130 (for family-based immigration) or the I-140 must be submitted in the initial phase of the process. In some cases, you may submit Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status, at the same time as you have submitted your I-130 form. However, if there is not a visa available in your category, you are not going to be able to petition for adjustment of status until one becomes available in your category.

To learn more about adjustment of status in El Paso and to get help becoming a U.S. citizen, call Cynthia R. Lopez today.

915 Huckleberry El Paso, Texas 79903 |  915.996.9070